Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Saturday, November 1, 2008

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED: MOVIE REVIEW OF GULLIVER'S TRAVEL

UNEDITED SAMPLE FEATURE ARTICLE
By Christine JOy Ombania de Asis
IV-Madame Marie Curie


For the days you’ve been away, for the hours that were not spent with your family, for the minutes that you wander in various strange places, unknown and peculiar to your senses, and for the seconds of misfortune and disaster, do you consider your absence a total pruning? A scarcity? Do you consider those times to be futile? Especially if everything seems to be very unusual, extraordinary and does not end up what it has supposed to be. Do you consider your journey a waste of time?

Truly, expect the unexpected. That’s what I realized after I had watched the movie Gulliver’s Travel. I thought it was another boring film, but it stunned my whole being to the point that it somehow changed my life’s perspectives. And I think that makes a movie great- the “after shock” it caused us, the result it brought to us. Regardless of how popular the actors are, or how beautiful the effects are, the message of the movie is what that matters after all. But of course, Gulliver’s Travel would not be called a movie if it weren’t for the elements that comprise it. And let me point out these observations of mine. I loved the actors, the fantastic places and the trial-aspect and flashback method of telling the story. The characters were brilliant and effective; the roles being portrayed by them were given justice. The emotions, the characterizations, the way they spoke, the way they acted were all given life. The settings were great too! The time was also given justice because of the attires; the items used were classical as well, just right for the given period. The places were fantastic, the shore, the rocky mountains, the sea, and the forest. And certainly, the effects were amazing. How the real people were turned into Lilliputians and Brogdingnagans. How the island became a “flying island”, and how the horses were made to talk. Although some scenes were obviously computer animated, I think it is not a reason for the movie to turn out to be “not convincing”. And as for the story or the plot, which is the most important part of the film, I think Jonathan Swift was really an incredible writer for bringing such ideas that would surely touch many hearts, like mine. Better than the book, although some parts were changed, it was remarkably astonishing and excellent, and the morals were successfully delivered into a new phase of conviction.

And I think that was also the thinking then of Lemuel Gulliver- expect the unexpected. With a little hope of uplifting the life of his family in England, he sailed into the seas without realizing the circumstances that would happen before him. The uncommon events that he would encounter. But you know what was very wonderful about Dr. Gulliver? It was that in spite of the adversities he faced, he still looked at the brighter side of the story by having the urge to learn more. Just like the reason why he was not able to escape from the Lilliputians even though he could, because he wanted to know something more about their life, culture and tradition. Something beyond his imagination could reach, something significant that he would never ever discover in other places, in other times, in other opportunities. And for me, that was the best part of the movie… What I had discovered… from the film, from the story, from the characters, and from myself. The obvious proof of the Gulliver’s Travel being a satire. It dumbfounded me, my senses, my beliefs, my whole being. The beauty of a satire was seemingly shown that beneath the humorous lines and acts, lie the human imperfections and the society flaws. That humans eat even though they are not hungry. That humans drink even though they are not thirsty. That humans drink liquor even though they have not yet eaten. And that prostitutes are all around- the reason why the society gets sick. Let me take a simple glance at one scene in the fourth voyage, where Gulliver said that he treated people in England as Yahoos. Yahoos who were naked, dirty, had no reason for fighting, voted the most indolent of their kind to be their leader, licked their leader’s feet and let their leaders drag any woman for his unreasonable pleasure. And the sarcasm of the way Lemuel was treated in the lands of Lilliput and Brogdingnag. Where in the land of the small he was treated as a monster and a big plague. It was shown when the Lilliputians tied bravely Gulliver instead of being scared of his big height. While in the land of the giants, he was treated as a “good spirit” shown by the farmer taking advantage on him. The ironic way of thinking of the scientists, mathematicians and magicians and the sardonic turn of events. And all are in one satiric mode, revealed not literally but figuratively. Punching down its meaning into our souls, pinching and piercing our hearts by the knives of realism and conscience.

So why would you consider your adventure a wasted one? A useless one? If you have learned so much more than what you can imagine. For all the times that you were alone and gone, you witnessed great changes in yourself; you witnessed marvelous moments that would never ceased. And I believe that this experience is more than a gold, or a treasure ever found. No amount of precious stone can ever replace, for this is the best gift of your voyage…

“All the yahoo vices I can begin to accustom myself to once more. Except for pride. That I cannot tolerate. I see myself for what I truly am. I have lost eight years of my life... And yet, and yet, the moments I have had, the marvels I have witnessed, the wonderful truths I have seen. You see, when night falls and you close your eyes to sleep and dream, I have seen the things that you can only dream about. I have been there. I was lost at sea for a long time. But I have been there. Oh yes. All the way and back.”

- Dr. Lemuel Gulliver

No comments: