Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Saturday, November 1, 2008

STEPS OF HISTORY

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By Christine Ombania de Asis
IV-Madame Marie Curie


I had nothing for breakfast- none even a sip of Milo to energize my sluggish body, none even a piece of pandesal to help me get through the day, just a slice of curiosity and a cup full of excitement. As the sun shed its smile upon my fervid face, I rushed into the front door with my friends waiting for me. We decided to take a taxi and raced as fast as we could to get there on time. Unfortunately, we were late and our teacher, Mr Alixander Haban Escote, who happened also to be our tour guide, was about to end his speech about our first stop, the Manila Cathedral. I was very much eager to know what was more behind those sophisticated designs and styles but to my disappointment, I got only a little information about that antiquated yet ravishing piece of architecture. It made me realize the inconvenience of being late and that I should be back on my right senses in order for me to stay on track; after all it was up to me if the tour would be a worthy one.

As everyone was busy jotting down notes, I became conscious to the fact that I did not bring any pen and notebook to keep details from breaking out of my hungry head. Well, I actually did not intend to, for I believed that it was better to savor the tour by heart, and not just to taste it by what was written on a piece a paper. I reached for my recorder and camera from my body bag and took pictures of every astounding structures and panoramas flashing before my very eyes. I was still in a deep surge of amazement when Mr Escote unbelievably delivered all the facts and know-how’s about each spot, which gave me a clueless idea on how he was able to do that. He was indeed very great and very hardworking as a tour guide. And to store all that knowledge in my mind, well I guessed I had to take it by heart.

But it seemed like I was not only craving for something that would feed my empty head, I was craving for something that would feed my empty stomach as well. A couple of hotcakes and a cup of steaming hot choco hit the spot, and at last boosted my energy meter that perhaps would be just enough until lunch.

I, together with the rest, went to various places, learned a lot of things, and discovered more about our country’s past. But as I wallowed into wonderment, after realizing how dense my background was especially when it comes to my own country’s culture and history, I felt ashamed to myself. It seemed like I was seeing that place for the first time; well in fact I have been there for several times already. Hence, I promised myself that the tour would not be put into waste, and that I should certainly value each and every drop of it, delight in each and every little thing it had to offer, and cherish the opportunity it brought me as I broke out from the clutches of ignorance and oblivion.

With my steps leading me to something that would finally unlock my mind, I was struck by the dark dungeon in Fort Santiago. I could not imagine how a person could possibly survive in that cave-like prison, shrouded by pitch darkness and a deep feeling of solitude. All I could do was to plunge into the depressing waters of realization, with the thought that my fellow Filipinos had indeed experienced being isolated and beaten inside that nightmare.

With my steps leading me to something that would finally stun my mind, I would always remember the Casa Manila, which did not fail to leave off a remarkable mark in the pages of my Intramuros adventure. This wonderful piece of architectural design that houses a collection of antique furniture and accessories gave me an ambience of wealth and prosperity of a gracious, cultivated lifestyle manifested in strong family ties, lavish hospitality, grandiose festivity, and keen religion. I delightfully savored into pride and amazement as I looked into the eminent rooms, salas and cusina of the grand house that does not only shelter venerable relics of the past, but also the rich culture of the Filipinos.

With my steps leading me to something that would finally inspire my mind, I would always be enthralled with the ecclesiastical and historical institution of San Agustin Church and Museum that withstood fire, earthquakes and even great wars. It dumbfounded me as I witnessed the outstanding works of art and richly carved doors and images. The façade was truly magnificent in its baroque design with touches of Spanish and Chinese influences. Upon entering the church, I instantly marveled at the amazing paintings and intricate designs over the vaulted ceiling and dome that on the first sight appeared to be three-dimensional.

One of the experiences I would also never forget was when we all sat on the magnificent coro or choir loft above the narthex. The sixty eight intricately carved kamagong choir stalls encrusted with narra inlays had a giant lectern holding huge choir books, which was the focal point of the coro. There, I had the chance to relax and release all the fatigue and anguish my body was feeling. And also there, I had the chance to reflect on how really proud I am to be a Filipino.

With my steps leading me to something that would finally ease the exacerbating pain I was feeling all along, I took a very long walk from the church into our last stop. As I took my fragile steps on the jagged tiles of Intramuros, ignoring the arduous feeling and the annoying mud and dirt spattered on my feet, I sang with joy and gladness together with my friends and former classmates. I was with them all throughout the tour and we even made a group called “Tropang Algae”. It was a very happy and cheery moment to treasure and cherish forever; I would never ever forget it.

But my steps on the historical grounds of the past did not end at McDonald’s. There we had our dinner and relaxed until we had loosen up. Yes, it was indeed very fun and educational, and it made me realize many things. Though it was painful to the feet, though it was uncomfortable to the body, who cares? These were nothing compared to a basketful of knowledge and experiences I gained. A foot spa and a body massage would relieve my aches, but there would probably no remedy for an aching mind thirsting for understanding and discovery.

They say that a journey of thousand miles begins with one step. And my journey as I traveled thousand miles way back on our history began when I took one step on our country’s fortress of heritage and vanguard of culture. With my steps leading me to exhilarating experiences, once in a lifetime opportunities, rare and exceptional knowledge, overwhelmingly splendid discoveries, and proud realizations, a step was indeed worthy of my time and effort, for I knew in every step that I had taken, it brought me closer to my real destination.

No comments: