Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Saturday, July 5, 2008

A NEW CHAPTER

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
by Samantha Grace Ignacio Cruz


It’s like being in a dream, where you’re eating the most scrumptious breakfast of fresh muffins and waffles, and then suddenly, you wake up to a breakfast of bread and eggs. This was like the feeling I had when I first moved to Makati Science High School. I am not saying I didn’t like the bread and eggs, I just mean that it was not as splendid at first after waking up from a dream of the most scrumptious breakfast of fresh muffins and waffles. But as I ate my breakfast of bread and eggs, it tasted so delicious that I no longer craved for the breakfast in my dream.

During my first days in this school, I was such in shock. It was a totally new environment. Not a single face was known to me, not a single corridor familiar, everything was so different and so confusing. I guess everyone went by and passed this stage too.

With the soft whispers of others when we pass, hectic schedules and a surprising pile of work presented on only the first few days, my first thoughts went like “AAAAHHH!” But then, as the weeks progressed, my thoughts went from “this is just too much” to “hey it’s not so bad”. And I don’t even need to mention what my thoughts were upon receiving our first stipend. And when, at last, I got used to the system here, I learned that surviving this high school was actually possible. And pretty soon I learned to love it here, all discomforts aside.

I remember during my first year here, I truly had so many changes, so many things new to me. For one, it was my first time to commute at a daily basis, since I was used to riding to and from school in my uncle’s car. I also learned independence. I no longer depended on my family for things like money. I learned to make my own decisions and walk on my own path.

Of course, one of the major changes I experienced here was the curriculum. I think that the year our batch entered this school was one of the most difficult years. We had so many subjects, so many projects and so many things to do. Everyday I woke up so early and slept so late. It was hard, it was challenging, but surprisingly I survived.

With all the hard work and time needed for our learning here, my friends and I did not forget to have fun. We always spent our free time together. We ate after classes together, we laughed over the lowest reasons. I guess that’s really a must to have in every high school- friends.

During my first year here, my classmates and I got into serious trouble. We were all so worried about what the consequences were. It was a bit scary, some of us were even crying that time. Sure, it was really a sad time for all of us, but actually, in a crazy way, it is one of my most memorable moments. I cherish that moment, because even though we made our mistake, we were all still together. We stood up for each other and did not let anyone get go down. We cooperated and we were united. Despite our differences, we learned to put them all aside and just be one. I learned so much from that experience, and I would never forget it.

I am proud that I have not only survived here, but gained a lot more than what I expected. I never thought I would love it here, but I did. It’s something I never knew I wanted, but I did. And so, being here at this prestigious school has indeed been a crazy experience for me. I learned to live a simple life here in Makati Science- simple, but fun and so worthwhile.

No comments: