Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A SMALL WORLD

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By
Vicson Aypa Mabanglo
IV-Sir Isaac Newton


Friendship is a very special gift we should not be afraid to take. Friendship is the simplest gift that we can give yet very precious and priceless. Friendship is something we can treasure forever. Friendship is something we should be proud of.

As I took my first step on the gate of Makati Science High School as a fourth year high school student, I felt happy yet I was really hesitant to take it. Now, a month is about to pass by. The ten more months will decrease into nine more months sooner or later. Nine short months left to cherish the happy moments that will about to happen. Nine short months left to learn more about my batch mates. Nine short months left to learn more and prepare me for college. Nine short months left to thank everyone who has touched my life. Nine more months are left to spend. Nine more months left to share with my friends.

As I look the placid sky in the plant box while thinking of the “nine more months left”, he came and called my attention. He asked me why am I indulged in such a solitary moment. I then answered him immediately without any hesitation; “ Bro, we only have nine more months left.” After hearing those set of words, he then laughed and said “ Matagal pa yun , bro! Just make the best out of it! Sabay naman tayo gra-graduate diba? Walang iwanan, Bro! Matagal pa yun! Love you! ” These set of sentences really struck me. And made me realize how lucky am I that I still have those months left. It made me realize that I should make the best out of it. I should spend every single second wisely yet I must enjoy it. Then, he went downstairs to take up his Computer subject though I wasn’t able to reply to his reaction. After he left, I entered the room and reminisce the moment I first met him. The magic of imagination dispatched me to the past.

I remember the day when I tried to give the special gift of friendship to him. It was one busy morning of the month of June 2006 when I had a chance to know him. I can hardly remember how I got to know him, but I guess it is the time when Rhomuell, one of our classmates, made fun of him. I remember that I tried to make fun of him too. We teased him and laughed at him even though there is nothing to laugh at. But that type dealing with him didn’t last too long. After quite some time, he eventually became one of my friends. Not that I had pity on him, but he was actually a good person himself. During the first months of our friendship, we shared some laughs and “kalokohan” with each other, together with Rhomuell and Jekjek. We shared our reactions and comments on the different shows and movies we had already watched and then laugh at it. We shared “kalokohan” and our thoughts on different things. We shared experiences inside and outside our classroom. We shared “out of this” world imaginations. We often asked each other “what if?” questions. We, I guess, really had shared one enjoying and boisterous type of friendship.

After a month or two, music started to enter the scenario. I, together with Rhomuell, introduced him to our fastidious friend, the guitar. From the moment he saw the guitar, the immediate reaction that he wants to learn to play it struck our attention. Rhomuell taught him most of the technicalities, while I taught him the “passion” for it. I taught him how to deal with the feelings and setback while he is learning. I taught him that he should always treat the guitar as a part of himself. I taught him that he should always play with his heart. A valuable lesson that a genuine guitar player should possess. He eventually learned to play the guitar. I became really proud of myself for I know that I had an official friend who can play with me his and my favorite songs. Months passed by and, as usual, we shared it with laughter. Time made our friendship stronger, I guess.

I also remember the days when we planned to have and form a band. We, fortunately, had a band and tried our luck. I won’t ever forget those days for it really contributed a lot to who am I today. We prepared ourselves for the School’s Battle of the Bands. We practiced, practiced, and practiced. He always makes our practice sessions fun. He tells jokes and other kinds of stuff. He really is hilarious. I remember one time when we were in the studio for a practice; he actually destroyed a table by just sitting on it. He, together with Rhomuell, paid for it. Both of them were responsible for it for they were very “maharot” that time. But we didn’t even think about the money or the table. We just laughed and laughed. After days of long practice sessions, the most awaited day came and he didn’t even show us that he is nervous. I was really proud of him that day. He really motivated our band. Though we didn’t win that night, we still became happy for we know that we had fun and we enjoyed it.

Summer came and I didn’t hear anything about him. Then, during our enrollment, I was able to see him, and I was also fortunate enough to be his classmate again during that school year.

During our third year in our school, the usual things happen. We shared happy moments and new friends entered our world too. Our friendship developed fully in this school year. I learned a lot of things from him. He also learned a lot of things from me. A give and take relationship, I guess. A friendship that really is priceless. I remember when, I experienced some problems. He was always there to support me. He was always there to strengthen me. He was always there to help me from the beginning up to the end, a true friend indeed. I guess, this is the year when our friendship really progressed a lot. The year when I learned his importance to me. We ended the year just as usual, a happy year. We joined the School’s Battle of the Bands again too, unfortunately we didn’t win but we’re happy for one band from our batch won. We were also happy for, just like the past year, we know that we did our best.

“Clap!” I came back to the reality. One of my classmates called my attention and said “ Papi Vicson, tawag ka ni Lito.” I then hurried up to our classroom’s door. There, I saw Lito. My friend who had been with me through the past years. A true friend who stayed through thick and thin.

“ Papi! Pahiram foot rugs! “ He said. I then run to my bag and got my rugs. After I gave the rugs I told him how important he was to me. I thanked him for all the things he had done for me. And then I said “ Bro, Love you too! Hindi mo hinintay kanina I love you ko! Bumababa ka agad! Salamat! ”

He smiled and went down after I said those set of sentences. I really love him as a friend. I’m not a gay but I’m his friend. A friend thankful enough for every single thing he had done for me. A friend who is fortunate enough to have someone who he knows will never leave him. He was a friend to me too, of course. Lito Largo Labor Jr. is my friend. A friend who gives more than he receives. A friend who knows me very much. A friend who will never leave you in times of need. A friend who’s always there. One thing I just do not know, is he a gay? No, I’m just joking. I just want to end this work happily. Lito is a true man. A true friend. I’m his friend, he’s my friend. I won’t forget him, no matter what. After all, it’s a small world.

No comments: