Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Sunday, September 14, 2008

BE THE BEST OF WHATEVER YOU ARE

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By
Bernadette Bunao Orgen
IV -Michael Faraday


I have always been on the head of the line. I am recognized for being the person with the least height among the class, or perhaps, among the batch. I am identified by my classmates for not having the capacity to erase the writings on the upper part of the board. I have always been like that because I am small.

When I began entering school, I found no problem regarding being the smallest in the class. I was even treated like a baby by my classmates then. They cared for me a lot, and they would never let anyone make me cry. I was so thankful for that, so what I did in return was to do good in school and to help them whenever they had problems with our lessons. My classmates trusted me, and they elected me as the president of the class. I would always lead them to order. I would always initiate in making our classroom clean. I maintained peace in our class by fixing misunderstandings between some of my classmates. I could say that I was able to do my job properly and that my classmates were not wrong in choosing me as their leader even if I seem not to take my responsibilities well enough because of my height.

Until I became a high school student. I was surprised and amazed at seeing my classmates who are like "giants". They are very much taller compared to me. I seem like an ant whenever I go near them. I also have classmates who are not so tall, but still, their heights are greater than mine. At first, I did not care much at all.

As time went by, most of my classmates became closer to me. We would laugh at each other without being hurt since we always knew that we are just having fun. They would always tease me because of my being small. I never kept hurt feelings because I knew that they never mean to hurt me. But, jokes have limitations. Sometimes, I bear with them, but there are moments when I feel like I wanted to cry. Many things were kept behind my mind whenever I lose emotional control. I wanted to ask them. Was it my fault that I became an ant in the group of giants? Was it my desire being such? I felt so pathetic at times. I wanted to cry, but I never wanted to show them my tears. I just kept my emotions strong. I kept hiding my feelings, and I never shared them to anybody.

I felt pity to myself. It was as if I wished to be small. Do they know that if there were only a chance for me to choose, I would wish to be taller so that they would accept me as to who I am. Because, it was as if they despise me for lacking height. I knew that these are just silly thoughts in my mind, but I cannot help myself but to think that these things are true.

Until one day, as I was browsing my old elementary books, I happened to see the page where the poem "Be The Best of Whatever You Are" by Douglas Malloch was written. It goes like this.

If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill, be a scrub in the valley...
It isn't by size that you win or you fail-
Be the best of whatever you are.

I may be small. I may not be as tall as my classmates. But I can also do what they can do. My height is not a problem. I do not feel bitter anymore. In fact, I am happy for I am what I am now. Whatever happens, I will just be the best of whatever I am.

No comments: