Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Thursday, September 25, 2008

MY PRECIOUS PIECE OF CHINA

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By Samantha Grace I. Cruz
II-Robert Hooke


Have you ever experienced holding a plate nonchalantly and, without noticing it, just so happens to fall out of your hand? The once whole and precious china that was held by your hand just moments ago crashes onto the floor and splits into a thousand little pieces. Afterwards, you pick it up, and you realize it can still be put together, but of course, there would be a few chips and cracks here and there. There would be some dents that have to be covered by other pieces of china. There would still be imperfections on the once perfect surface. But still, when the pieces are put together, no matter how badly or off it seems, it is still a plate nonetheless, and it is still good.

Growing up, I have always experienced being a part of that plate, that broken china once whole and precious. Because of that, it comes to me as no surprise when someone lets go of that plate, over and over again. And it crashes down and breaks again. But eventually, the pieces still fit together, sometimes, new pieces are added.

Family is one of the most precious things in the world. Whatever kind, whatever size, it is important in everybody. Our families are the strongholds of our being, the cornerstones in the journey of life in which we put our faith and trust. There always exists, and this is true for all families, a familiar kind of love that binds each member together. So whether a family is solid as brick or as breakable as china, it is still a major aspect of our existence.

The first blow I experienced, the first crash of my precious china was of course the most painful. The father figure I once looked up to, I once respected with all my heart, dropped that plate so carelessly and did not even bother to put it back. He left without looking back. So that plate shattered into pathetic little pieces. Eventually it was put back together with clumsy little hands, though it missed the biggest piece. I used to try and look for it, I used to try and put back that piece. But now, I know better. I did not need that piece of my life. I did not need the one who left us hanging and defeated. I did not care for his selfish reasons.

For a while the remaining pieces which formed a sort of distorted, helpless plate lived in harmony. Those are me and my mother. We lived with a peace of mind back then. Suddenly, a certain feeling arose. I could feel that there was a big change about to happen to our since-then-untouched plate. Somebody was picking the pieces up again, and he was trying to put them back.

He was a gentleman, as I first got to know him, a man of his word. He showered me with gifts, spoiled me even. I was not blind to not see what would happen next. I could see it in my mom’s face. She was happy, and it was all I needed to know to accept that man in our lives.

Eventually, even though it still hurt me to move on too quickly, I accepted him. Along with him came my older stepsister. At first excitement was the only thing dominant around us. We were all happy and ecstatic at the thought of both our families colliding with each other, forming one. We were overjoyed to know that the broken pieces of our family and theirs fit together, and shaped a new precious plate.

But that was at first. As the hands of time ticked by, we slowly realized that coexisting with each other was difficult. My step sister was always easily irritated with me as I was with her. My mother and stepfather had problems of their own too. We still loved each other though, but we realized it would be tough.

Cruelty was not yet over for us. It did not give us enough time to bond with each other. Fate did not give us the chance to live with each other much longer. This was the next blow that I received. The next shatter my precious piece of china experienced.

That piece I held on to, that loving guide I put my faith into was violently taken away from me. I wept and mourned. Her piece left our plate forever, but then, she left another piece to take her place. She left another life behind her. She left to us, my baby sister.

The plate I held on to like it was my life was imperfect as ever. We were three children being raised by a single parent. We lived in awkwardness for some time, since I was not very open to them, and they were not really that welcoming. But slowly, we began to accept each other. We began to live in peace and even though we often fight, we learned to love each other the way true family does.

Now, the pieces are intact and we form one precious plate. But who knows? Someone else’s hands might break us into pathethic little pieces again, and we might not be able to recover like we did. Someone might ruin that precious piece of china that I treasure so much. I would not let it happen when time comes, but I know that it is not far. We are experiencing problems at present, and I know that it won’t be long before we are forced apart from each other. Why we are being separated, I do not know. It is a mystery to me, I’ll find out eventually. I just hope that I would have the courage to pick the pieces up yet again and mold my precious plate once more.

At present time, the pieces of our plate try to live together in happiness, despite our knowledge of what will happen in the near future. We often fight and bicker, but I guess that is normal. Sometimes I find myself yearning for that original plate, the first plate I belonged to. But then, I realize that I should be thankful I even have a one right now. Although it is not perfect, it is still good.

So if you have a plate, one and whole, treasure it. Love it with all your heart. Never let it go, and never let it fall into a thousand little pieces, for I would give anything to be in your place, to feel complete again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so touching, Sam. Good work. What a great literary piece.