Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

GREAT PRETENDERS

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By Marian Denise Glipo Basallote
IV- Madami Marie Curie


You turned your back on me and walked away all of a sudden. I acted as if nothing happened. I made them believe that I was unaffected in any way. They were so gullible. I was so pretentious.

As raindrops pattered incessantly on the rooftop, memories of our past rushed into my consciousness uncontrollably. I tried to prevent the thoughts from coming in, but they seeped into the corners of my mind. As much as I disliked reminiscing about the days we spent together, I still did helplessly. I remembered everything so vividly. I stayed behind the bars of the past for the entire night as the rain continually made noise on the rooftop.

The short and long hands of the clock stroke at exactly twelve. But, I was still wide awake. I lied on my bed as I muffled myself up in a thick blanket. The chilling atmosphere wrapped me in solitude and despair. My body was in desperate need of warmth as much as my heart was in need of love.

The seemingly endless rain finally stopped from falling. But, I, after hours of repression, just started to give in. Tears kept on sliding down my cheeks. But, I constantly wiped each teardrop away. I pretended to be strong amidst all the pain and loneliness that was crushing my heart. . Nobody realized how dreadful I was. Indeed, I was a great pretender.

You still turned your back on me. But, before you could walk farther away, I caught your attention by whispering your name. Unsurprisingly, you did not hear my soft yet persistent voice. Again, I called out your name with the hope that you would look back at me. You did look back and even flashed your most radiant smile. But, I never got to utter the words I needed to spill out of my mouth. You began walking farther away from me.

I cried silently as I suddenly remembered the promises, which I thought were unbreakable, you made to assure me of your love. You vowed to take care of me and stay by my side until the end of time. You promised to wait for me for as long as I asked you to. But, I guess I was too gullible then. You were partly to blame for you were so pretentious. You acted as if you were fully capable of keeping your sweet promises. Indeed, you were a great pretender.

I could no longer live in your world filled with nothing but lies. I could no longer bear to see myself suffer from misery and hopelessness. I already turned my back on you. I already walked away from our memories. Indeed, I am a great pretender.

No comments: