Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Monday, August 25, 2008

ENDLESS FAREWELLS

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By Marian Denise Glipo Basallote
IV - Madame Marie Curie


I stared innocently at nothingness. Tears suddenly rushed its way out of my eyes as the bitter truth struck my consciousness. I had to leave. I had to leave in spite of my strong desire to stay. I had to lose grip of your hand in spite of my continual longing for your touch. I had to break free from the bond that has linked us together for several years. I had to bid goodbye. I really had to. Everything simply went against my hopes and wishes.

With the parting of our ways, I was left with no choice but to accept and adopt the new kind of life I had been given. With it, I saw unfamiliar yet friendly faces and witnessed unfamiliar yet worthwhile events. At first, I felt uneasy and unsafe, as anybody else would, for you, the one I have known for so long, were no longer by my side. There was no one to protect me from harm and guide me through the journey of life. I walked away from you and so, I lived in misery and solitude. But, with a quirk of fate, my once dark gray skies gradually turned into lovely sunset scenery with the bright yellow, orange and red colors perfectly blending into the skies. I finally found the hope and courage I needed to step out of the blinding darkness that had enslaved me for so long. I eventually learned to move on from my past.


My life made a great progression when I met him. He was well-known for his excellence in almost every field that I could not help but look down upon myself. But, there was never a time when he had made me feel inferior to him. Instead, he humbled himself and even hoisted my lowly character by showering me with encouragement and support. Thus, I constantly drew my inspiration from no one but him. Not long after, I was already triumphantly wearing medals in gold, silver and bronze that I had received from prestigious competitions in various fields. Through my hard work and sacrifices, I was able to follow his footsteps, as what I had exactly dreamed of.

He was not merely a friend whom I can entrust the story of my life with. He was not simply a teacher whom I can learn the priceless lessons of life from. He was not plainly an admirer who applauds for all the victorious moments I had experienced through thick and thin. He was not just a brother whom I can hold hands with whenever I am swallowed up by fear. Most importantly, he was not only a father who feels so proud whenever I am able to bring great honor to the family. He was more than all of them combined.

I stared innocently at nothingness. Tears suddenly rushed its way out of my eyes as the bitter truth struck my consciousness once again. I had to leave. For the second time, I had to leave in spite of my strong desire to stay. I had to lose grip of his hand in spite of my continual longing for his touch. I had to break free from the bond that has linked us together for four years. I had to bid goodbye to him, Makati Science High School. I really had to. Everything simply went against my hopes and wishes…

No comments: