Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Sunday, August 17, 2008

STEALING CINDERELLA

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By Ryan Trinidad Santiago
IV - Madame Marie Curie


“In her eyes I’m Prince Charming but to him I’m just some fellow. Riding in and stealing Cinderella.” I woke up with this song in my head. The silent chilly morning forced my feet to stand up with reluctance. It was still early and the lake was tranquil. The clouds were like a still picture of violet and orange shades. Yes, it was like a masterpiece of a painter. So vivid but not visionary. I went out from our house to breathe in the frigid air that almost froze my vascular system.

It was Thanksgiving, the 22nd of November, then. It felt so calm to observe the vast atmosphere with nobody else with me but myself. I could not explain the serenity that enveloped my spirits. I was watching those stellar bits and pieces that we call stars when, suddenly, white crystals fell from the sky. It was SNOWING! I could not believe what I was seeing. The snowflakes were shimmering and glistening. They were dancing with delight as though they were people having a grand feast. They made huge piles of glitter. The light emanating from the posts made them look like scintillating diamonds scattered everywhere. If they were just real diamonds, I could have been the richest person in this living planet.

I remembered the song that woke me up about an hour past. “Cinderella.”, I whispered to myself. What a beautiful name. I compared the snowflakes to Cinderella’s shoes. They were like her glassy shoes that were so fragile, thus, breaking into pieces as they hit the frosty sky. Snowflakes are dainty, Snowflakes are delicate. Snowflakes are refined. Yes, they are exquisite. They would always remind me of this girl whom I loved, whom I adored, and whom I treasured when I was still in the United States.

One thing that I will never forget in my life is the relationship that I built with the people who, at first, were foreign and unfamiliar to me. It is amazing to have friends all over the world, or shall I say, all over the Americas, Europe, and Asia. How many people can do that? Possibly, not a lot. And the best part was that I was able to meet them face-to-face. Now, the quotient is just as big as the remainder or the remainder is just as big as the quotient, whichever case makes the smaller amount.

Sydney, it was you whom I have been talking about. You were blest with azure eyes and brunette hair with a little hint of curly definitions. You were in my choir class, which made the two of us closer. Music is one of my passions. So is yours. It was one of the reasons why a heartstring tied us together.

We spent a lot of time together watching movies, skating, bowling, road-tripping, and partying. I was able to know you better. It came to the time that we were so close that no one could ever pull us apart. When I was with you, I felt something weird inside me. There was a bizarre feeling that made my heart beat in an unfamiliar rhythm. “What is this that I am feeling right now?” I wondered. I was happy but I could feel these butterflies flying around my cardiac muscles. “Is this love?” I asked myself. I did not know if that was love but that feeling was unexplainable. Many days had passed. I have had enough of those sleepless nights before I could figure out what I was confused about.

The next morning came as fast as a jet plane. Everything just went so fast. The moment that I stepped on your doorway and rang the bell and finally saw you, I said that I loved you. I could never forget that minute that my blood pressure reached its zenith due to nervousness. You were surprised when I honestly spoke out those words that you have been waiting for so long. And tenderly, you told me, “I love you too, Ryan. Yes, I do.” Then you hugged me as tight as a straight jacket. I thought I was a prince who was imprisoned by your love. It felt so passionate.

We became closer and closer until we were only a pinstripe away. We loved each other with all our hearts. We tried to look for ways to spend more time together. We would always feel incomplete with the absence of one of us so we had to go to school, to the movies, to the grocery stores, and to the gas stations together. I could remember that special day when we started dating. The table that we were seated at was bejeweled with rose petals and tiny wineglasses. The candles and the crystal chandeliers perfumed the restaurant with romance. I recognized how intricate your eyelashes were.

The time came when melancholy pierced my heart after spending an afternoon with you. I realized that the time was getting nearer. Yes, it was. Would it be a farewell? I hope not. We only had two months to spend time with each other. “Gosh, it is tearing my heart,” I sorrowfully said. I cried so hard that I felt dehydrated. What will I do when the time comes and we have to drift apart? Whom will I tell my secrets to when my mind is overflowing with emotions? Who will kiss me on my cheeks when I need some motivation?

I felt bitter the following morning that welcomed my blank face of puffy eyes and undone hair. I did not talk to you because I did not want to hurt myself. I did not call you, no, not once that day, because I did not want my suffering to get intense. I felt punished. I was left out by the real Ryan that I knew. I was egocentric for not telling you how I felt about our relationship. You were there at home waiting for my call and not aware of how insane I was being.

A week had passed when I drew courage from within me. I tried sending you text messages to tell you how sorry I was. You forgave me in less than a blink of an eye. However, no matter how appreciative I was that time, I could not face you anymore. It was still tingling. My heart…yes, it was. Another month has been torn from our calendar. That was my last month and we had never seen each other since that day that I felt crushed by depression’s teeth.

And that day finally came.

June 30, 2008- This was my last day in North Dakota. I had to go to Fargo for an orientation before I left Devils Lake. Miraculously, you were there at the college where we were supposed to have the orientation. I never expected you to be there but you were there for me. I was racing against time. Time was my only enemy…the sharpest blade rubbing against my throat.

There it was. The last hour was hiding around the corner, holding its breath and trying to scare us with its razor-sharp edge. You stood up and held my hands tight. And you kissed me on my left cheek before you bade farewell to me. I could not stop my tears from falling. My world melted down like butter. You were dainty. You were delicate. You were refined. Yes, you were exquisite. I wish I could bring you home. I wish I could have you forever. I wish God would give me the strength to be a thief. I wish you were the Cinderella in my favorite song. And I dreamed, deeply. There I was…stealing Cinderella.

2 comments:

Driesch Cortel said...

Hey Ryan!
I read your article and it is very amazing or should i say enchanting....

I totally i agree with you it was a good one.

Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Driesch! I want my article to be published. I hope it will be.