Your Ad Here Your Ad Here

Sunday, August 17, 2008

WHY DO WE NEED TO FEEL THE PAIN?

UNEDITED SAMPLE LITERARY ARTICLE
By Bernadette Bunao Orgen
IV - Michael Faraday


I live in a world of queries. A world of never-ending queries. A mixture of senseless and significant questions filled my being from the very start. As I walked through the road of a very long journey, some questions were being answered, but some just become a bigger and more complicated one.

Yes, I had a lot of inquiries, but not one of them bothered me greatly. Not one made me think so seriously. I just frequently ask myself. Why do we have to suffer? Why do we have to feel pain and sorrow from any means? Why is it necessary for us to experience all the misfortunes and misery life brings? Why can we not be happy all the time?

These questions led me to a quest. I promised myself that I can find the answer soon. I observed the people around me, their thoughts, experiences, and status in life. I studied the way they walk, speak, and think. After recording all these important information in my mind, I examined and synthesized everything. I then found out that people are not really the same. Though God told us that we are all equal, superiority and inferiority appears elsewhere. There are the rich and the poor, the strong and the weak, the beautiful and the ugly, and the intelligent and the dull. There is certainly a great difference between us, but one thing is for sure. We all have problems. We all feel pain and sufferings. We all encounter misfortunes and failures. We all desire to have a happy and worry-free life. No one is exemptmed from the miseries of life.

My questions, still, are unanswered yet. I tried to repeat the experiment again. I observed and examined again, but this time, I did them to myself. I found out that sufferings are always in my life. They will never leave me. And why do they exist? It is because they are meant to teach lessons, lessons that laughter and prosperity can barely tell. Lessons that can only be learned through bitterness, accompanied by shedding of overflowing tears. Without pain, we will never realize the true meaing of life. Life is not just a river of pleasures. It is more of an ocean of weeping.

People need to feel pain so that we will know how to value all the things that we have in hand. We need to suffer so that we will learn that not all are obtained with just a blink of an eye. We need to experience failures and misfortunes so that we will know that it is not success and luck that makes us survive. We need to sacrifice and lose grip to something so that we can obtain a stronger hold to something better. We need to shed some tears to balance the laughters and the smiles in our faces. Most of all, we need to encounter misery so that we can see that He is willing to pick us up whenever we fall if we just call His name.

No comments: